by Maria Rickert Hong, CHHC, AADP
Chronic stress can wear out your child’s adrenal glands, making them more anxious, prone to temper tantrums and prone to sickness. Chronic stress also leads to chronic inflammation, a hallmark of a chronic illness.
Research shows that EMF can cause changes in both the sympathetic nervous system as well as the parasympathetic nervous system. Researchers described the top 10 symptoms of EMF dangers as:
- Memory problems
- Difficulty concentrating
- Eye problems
- Sleep problems
- Feeling unwell
- Chronic fatigue
- Heart palpitations
Common sources of EMF exposure are fluorescent lights, cell phones, cordless house phones, baby monitors, Wi-Fi systems, smart meters and large electric devices such as refrigerators. “Dirty electricity” from off-phase electrical systems in houses and buildings is another source of EMF.
EMFs make fungi (mold and yeast) more virulent, and this was known at least as far back as 1980. Dietrich Klinghardt, MD, PhD, is a huge opponent of EMF dangers.
My top two sources for understanding this issue in more detail are Ann Louise Gittleman’s book Zapped: Why Your Cell Phone Shouldn’t Be Your Alarm Clock and 1,268 Ways to Outsmart the Hazards of Electronic Pollution and the Electric Sense website.
In the meantime, here are some simple things you can do to mitigate EMF dangers:
- Get rid of wireless phones and use corded phones
- Remove Wi-Fi at home or at least turn it off at night
- Get rid of baby monitors
- Keep electronic tablets and cell phones on airplane mode as much as possible, especially if children are playing on them
- Use electronic devices as a babysitter as little as possible
- Use grounding mats while using electronic devices
- Use grounding sheets and pillowcases while sleeping
- Installing Stetzer filters to reduce “dirty electricity”
- Make sure your child’s bed isn’t within a few feet, even on the other side of a wall, of a large electric device like a refrigerator or oven because these appliances generate large electromagnetic fields
In addition, we interviewed Dr. Devra Davis, author of “Disconnected: The Truth About Cell Phone Radiation” and the President and Founder of the Environmental Health Trust about the dangers of EMFs. You can sign up for the replay of that interview here.
Maria Rickert Hong is a former Wall Street equity research analyst who is now a Certified Holistic Health Counselor. She is the author of the bestselling book, “Almost Autism: Recovering Children from Sensory Processing Disorder, A Reference for Parents and Practitioners.” As a health coach, she helps parents make diet and lifestyle changes to recover their children from symptoms of Sensory Processing Disorder, almost autism, autism, PDD-NOS and ADHD. She has recovered her two boys from SPD, asthma, acid reflux and eczema can be reached at www.MariaRickertHong.com Maria is a board member, Media Director and blogger for Epidemic Answers, a 501(c)3 non-profit that lets parents know that recovery is possible.