Here are some ways to achieve the goal of good gut health:
- Probiotics, probiotics, probiotics. Consider taking probiotic supplements and/or eating cultured foods. Cultured foods are those that have been lacto-fermented, or preserved using good microorganisms (e.g., lactobacillus, bifidobacteria).Some examples of probiotic foods or cultured foods include: Yogurt and milk kefir (eat without sugar, sweeten with stevia or natural sweeteners if necessary), raw sauerkraut, kimchee, raw pickles, miso, beet kvass, coconut kefir, and kombucha tea.Commercially available probiotic foods:
- Reduce consumption of refined sugars, carbohydrates (breads, cookies, cakes, pastas).
- Consider following a “gut healing” diet such as the Body Ecology Diet, The GAPS diet, or the Specific Carbohydrate Diet.
- Reduce or eliminate use of pharmaceutical medications such as antibiotics, heartburn medication, anti-inflammatory meds (NSAIDS), steroids (including hormone pills such as birth control pills), unless absolutely necessary.
- Eliminate potential allergens from your diet
- Reduce exposure to environmental toxins (including pesticides on foods, GMOs, etc.)
- Seek the help of a healthcare professional trained in holistic or integrative medicine.