by Beth Lambert
I have an idea about how we can heal our children. It’s a great idea. No, it’s a fantastic idea. But it may take a little explaining and a little leap of faith. Please read to this end . . . this is really good.
Are You Looking for Answers?
If you are a Thinking Mom (or Dad), you have probably spent many hours and many dollars looking for answers for your children about how to recover a child from autism, ADHD, asthma and other chronic conditions.
- Answers with regard to why and how your child’s health became compromised in the first place.
- Answers with regard to what is out of balance in them biologically, physiologically, microbially, energetically, spiritually.
- Answers with regard to how we, as a society, can prevent more children from being harmed.
- Most importantly, you want answers that help us heal those that have already been harmed (our babies).
I am a mother of three children . . . two of whom were significantly affected by this ridiculous epidemic of chronic illness in American children. The third was born after I learned how to live clean and green and without unnecessary medical interventions. He fared much better.
You are probably familiar with the litany of symptoms that were my clues that their bodies were not healthy. Although I never had any children diagnosed on the autism spectrum, between the two of my oldest children, I had the privilege to witness the following symptoms/issues:
- Sensory Processing Disorder
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Crohn’s disease
- Chronic infections of all varieties
- Undigested food in stool
- Chronic diarrhea
- Chronic constipation
- Multi-hour temper tantrums
- Red rage
- Eye aversion
- Tactile defensiveness
- Sensory-seeking behavior
- Bleeding diaper rash
- Allergic welts
- Skin rashes
- Exaggerated emotional responses
And the list goes on and on . . . Do any of these symptoms sound familiar?
What is little known (by those who are not yet Thinking Moms) is that many of the symptoms demonstrated by children with autism are also demonstrated by “neurotypical” kids, but the symptoms are usually fewer in number, or less severe.
What About “Normal” Kids?
How many “normal” kids do you know that live everyday with chronic constipation? How many “normal” kids that you know experience red rage, weepiness, or depression when they eat wheat, but their parents don’t know that something their child is eating is making them bonkers? You know what I’m talking about.
My children, despite this horrific list of symptoms, were considered “normal” by all conventional medical doctors and specialists with whom we consulted. Normal? You’ve got to be kidding me. I’m a Thinking Mom. Please, don’t insult me. And so began my search for answers. Answers to explain why my children were sick, and what we needed to do to heal them.
Our Healing Journey
During my search we worked with:
- A naturopath
- A homotoxicologist
- An integrative physician
- A holistic nurse practitioner
- An integrative dietitian
- A genius chiropractor who also utilizes vibrational medicine
- A traditional chiropractor
- Allergy elimination practitioners (NAET, BioSET)
We made many lifestyle changes for our entire family including:
- Experimenting with healing diets such as GAPS, BED, SCD, Paleolithic, alkalinizing, Weston A. Price/Nourishing Traditions, elimination diets (removing over 20 foods from our daily diet)
- Eliminating all toxic personal-care products and toxic cleaning products from the home, and all new-fangled, off-gassing, chemical-laden products in general
- Eating only whole, organic foods and meats that were pastured and as clean as we could get
- Getting rid of our Wi-Fi and wireless phones. We only used phones with cords and computers that accessed the internet through an ethernet cable.
- Eating and drinking tons of raw fermented foods and drinks
- Eliminating sunblock, and making an effort to get natural vitamin D from the sun when possible
- Stopping all unnecessary medical interventions, including antibiotics, pain relievers and other harmful pharmaceuticals
And the list goes on and on . . .
For about a year and a half, healing our children was our full time job.During that time, I also researched and wrote a book, A Compromised Generation, that explains (at least to me) why so many children today are sick, why there is so much autism, ADHD, food allergies, asthma and many other conditions.
I also started a non-profit organization called Epidemic Answers so that I could band together with like-minded individuals who all wanted to find answers for their children.
It took us about a year and a half to pull our kids back from the brink, but today, all three of my children are healthy, happy, thriving kids and they are virtually symptom-free. It was a long slog, but totally worth it.
My “Biomedical” Friends
During this journey I began to make “biomedical” friends. Friends who were recovering their children from autism, or “almost autism” like mine.
You would be shocked to know how many “almost autisms” there are out there.
The more autism moms and dads you meet, the more you learn about health and wellness and healing modalities, and what works and what doesn’t work, and what caused the autism (or asthma, or allergies, or ADHD, or mitochondrial dysfunction) in the first place.
The deeper you go into a healing journey, the more extraordinary healers and healthcare practitioners you meet and the greater your sense of hope becomes. It was in these conversations and relationships that I began to meet the recovered, and I began to understand hope.
It was how I got to the ultimate joy and bliss that I experience today. I put my intention on healing my children and they healed.
So just about everyday, I talk to another parent of an affected child. Some children have autism, some have asthma, and some have the amalgamation of symptoms that elude a diagnosis. And these parents ask me what I did to get my children healthy again.
And I tell them about my journey, and I lose them, because most people don’t have the resources (financial, emotional or other) to be able to do all the things that we did.
Plus, how do you know which healing modality is right for your child? How do you know if it is going to work? There was way too much trial and error. Way too much experimentation. Healing, the way we did it, is really hard. But what if it didn’t have to be?
What If Healing Didn’t Have to Be Hard?
Healing our children today is extremely difficult for a variety of reasons:
- We, as families, have limited resources (time and money) to devote to the healing process. We have to hold down jobs and keep marriages together and take care of other children and ourselves. Recovering a child from chronic illness can be an exhausting, frustrating, full-time job. And realistically, no one can afford it.
- The existing medical system does not support the healing of our children. Most of the treatments that help children heal are not covered by insurance (that is, if you even have insurance). In fact, the existing medical system, as you know, is a big part of what is making our children sick in the first place. So we need to go outside of the box to alternative or at least integrative practitioners, those who are on top of the medical literature and are willing to work in a partnership with you, the parent. These practitioners are a rare species.
- The safe alternative healing modalities that work are often considered too “woo woo” or not yet validated by medical science for us to feel comfortable trying them. We can be scared to try something partly because of expense, and partly because we don’t believe it is going to work. And sometimes it doesn’t work. Why would we spend money on something for which there is no rational reason to believe that it might work? Two of my friends who recovered their children from serious chronic illnesses (ASD, PDD, chronic Lyme) both reached turning points using some serious “woo woo” healing modalities. Could there be something to these approaches?
- We don’t know what is going to work for our children. Each of them has unique and complex problems that usually come in layers. I love the onion analogy. You peel (and heal) one layer at a time, knowing that one day you will get to the center. We do our best to figure out what is going to work, but we’re only human. It would be helpful if we at least knew what type of practitioner to begin with, but even that is a difficult and confusing decision to make.
The Big Idea
What does all this have to do with my big idea? Well, many of us struggle to heal our children because we come across all kinds of barriers: financial barriers, emotional barriers, psychological barriers, and lack of access to the right practitioners, healers, and safe healing environments.
But what if you didn’t have those barriers, and what if you were given access to all that you needed to heal and recover your child? Wouldn’t that be great? And even if you didn’t have that access, what if you could learn about healing successes and failures from others who did?
So here it is:
What if we took these kids’ families and gave them everything they needed to heal for FREE?
- A naturopath
- A homeopath
- An integrative physician
- An integrative dietician
- A reiki practitioner
- Audio integration therapy
- A BioSET practitioner
- All the nourishing, organic whole foods that they would need to sustain themselves
- Cooking lessons
- Non-toxic personal care products
- A bau biologist
- Green cleaning products
- A holistic healthcare practitioner, and
- A parent mentor to teach them, guide them and help them make the right choices along their healing journey?
What if we took the advice and guidance of all the moms and dads who have recovered their kids and poured that knowledge into these 14 children. What if?
What if we then documented the journeys of these children in a feature-length film?
What if the film served as an expose’ of the environmental factors that are making our children sick but also showed us how to bring them back, to heal them?
What if we used these children as a “living lab” where we could (safely) learn about the healing modalities that are most beneficial to our sick and dysfunctional children?
Would you go see this film? If your child had asthma or ADHD, wouldn’t you want to see how these children recovered? If your child had autism?
Introducing the Documenting Hope Project
So here is my big idea:
Let’s push the envelope, find the answers and heal our children TOGETHER. I present to you: The Documenting Hope Project, sponsored by Epidemic Answers, a 501c3 non-profit.
And it’s not just an idea, it’s real. We are in the process of raising money to make this idea materialize. We estimate that it will cost about $5,000,o00 to make this film.
Many of the practitioners who have signed up for this project are offering their services pro-bono. But we still need to pay for many other healing products and services.
Together, with very little effort from each individual donor, we could heal 14 beautiful children while simultaneously finding answers for our own children and educating the rest of the world so that no more children need suffer.
This idea is a win-win-win.
Let’s Heal Our Children, Together.
Please donate here: https://epidemicanswers.org/donate/
And then forward this on to everyone you know.
p.s. Because Epidemic Answers is a 501c3 non-profit organization, your contribution is tax deductible. More awesomeness!
To learn more about the film, please click here: https://documentinghope.com/
We can do this!
(I originally wrote this article as an appeal to those who follow the Thinking Moms Revolution . . . but now post it as an appeal to all Thinking People who care about children and our future.)
About Beth Lambert
Beth Lambert is the Executive Director of Epidemic Answers and of its Documenting Hope Project. She is a former healthcare consultant and teacher. As a consultant, she worked with pharmaceutical, medical device, diagnostic and other health care companies to evaluate industry trends.
She is the author of A Compromised Generation: The Epidemic of Chronic Illness in America’s Children (Sentient Publications, 2010). She is also a co-author of Epidemic Answers’ Brain Under Attack: A Resource for Parents and Caregivers of Children with PANS, PANDAS, and Autoimmune Encephalitis.
In 2009, Beth founded Epidemic Answers and currently serves as Executive Director. Beth attended Oxford University and graduated from Williams College and holds a Masters Degree in American Studies from Fairfield University. She is a member of Alpha Sigma Nu, the Jesuit Honor Society. Beth is also the mother of three young children.