We interviewed our own Maria Rickert Hong, author of Almost Autism, about recovering children from Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD). Sensory Processing Disorder isn’t a true diagnosis, yet, because it is not a standalone diagnosis in the DSM-V (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition). However, most children with autism have it, and many children with ADD/ADHD, PANS/PANDAS and Lyme disease also have it. It can also be a standalone disorder, meaning that a child is over- or under-sensitive to lights, sounds, motions, tastes, smells and more.
The good news is that children CAN recover from it.
In this webinar, Maria discussed:
- What led her to the world of “almost autism”
- What some of the key behavioral symptoms that a child with SPD has
- If there are any physical symptoms that are warning signs that precede symptoms of SPD
- When she realized that nutrition and sensory processing were related
- What some common practices that our medical advisors recommend that could be contributing to “almost autism”
- Some of the first things she suggests to parents
- How a parent can work productively with their pediatrician
- What the role of retained reflexes in “almost autism” is
- The role of vision issues in “almost autism”
- How she got involved with Epidemic Answers
Please note that you will be asked to enter your email address at the 30-minute mark to finish viewing the video.
About Maria Rickert Hong CHHC
Maria Rickert Hong is a Certified Holistic Health Counselor who specializes in helping parents making dietary and lifestyle changes for children with Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD), autism, ADHD, allergies, asthma, autoimmune and more.
Maria has recovered her sons from SPD, asthma and acid reflux, and is the author of Almost Autism: Recovering Children from Sensory Processing Disorder, A Reference for Parents and Practitioners. She is also a co-author of Epidemic Answers’ Brain Under Attack: A Resource for Parents and Caregivers of Children with PANS, PANDAS, and Autoimmune Encephalitis. She writes many of the pages and posts on our website and elsewhere.
Maria is a former sell-side Wall Street equity research analyst covering the oil services sector at Salomon Smith Barney and Lehman Brothers. Later, she covered the gaming, lodging & leisure sector at Jefferies & Co. and Calyon Securities. She quit working on Wall Street when her first son was born. Prior to working on Wall Street, she was a marketing specialist for Halliburton in New Orleans, where she also received her MBA in Finance & Strategy from Tulane University.
You can find out more about Maria and her practice at her website www.MariaRickertHong.com
This webinar is not a substitute for medical advice, treatment, diagnosis, or consultation with a medical professional. It is intended for general informational purposes only and should not be relied on to make determinations related to treatment of a medical condition. Epidemic Answers has not verified and does not guaranty the accuracy of the information provided in this webinar.